In November 1955, one-hundred-and-fifteen students sat for the examinations in chemistry, physics, botany and zoology. Standards were high, with only nine obtaining first class passes in all four subjects.
During our six years of study for MB BCh a number of students dropped out of the class, and others came in. Our Second Year Anatomy Class of 1956 was larger, as it included dental students and others who went on to the degree of BSc before completing their medical studies a year or two later. In 1960, fifty-five members of the original class made up the eighty-seven people who graduated MB BCh from the Medical School of the University of the Witwatersrand. (See the picture above, with Dean Professor Eustace Cluver in the middle of the front row.)
Most members of the Class of 1960 were white men, who started medical school studies in their late teens and were in their early 20s at the time of graduation. Women, Black, Chinese and Indian graduates together numbered fewer than ten. In our list of students below and in our celebration, we include all those who studied with us for all or part of the time of our medical studies.